Tuesday, July 18, 2006

here we go...


FROM NOW ON ALL BLOGS FROM THE BIKE RIDE, WITH PICTURES, WILL BE HERE OR YOU CAN CUT AND PASTE
http://www.moblog.co.uk/blog/tommy
I'LL BE FILING PIXTURES AND TEXT VIA MY NOKIA COMMUNICATOR, SO I MAY BE MORE TERSE THAN NORMAL!

But for the moment...I'm verbose and nervous!

Last night I did the first leg of the trip, home (Hillswick) to Lerwick, 35 miles, for which I allowed four hours. I surprised myself by doing it in three. There were moments of thrilling speed (the Lang Kames, the bleak stretch of moorland in the middle of the Shetland Mainland, saw me averaging 19 mph)as well as the grinding uphill horrors of the Clavie (one mile from my front door) and the last horrible hill up from the golf course just outside Lerwick.
Tonight, having packed my panniers, the only nagging pain from that first big ride is in my knees, which are 50 years old and protesting. Tomorrow, I'll drive into Lerwick, do the show from there, then get the boat south. On Thursday morning, all being well, I'll cycle to Stoneheaven leave the bike there, and catch a train back to aberdeen for the show. Then I'm getting a lift back to Stonehaven, and I cycle to Montrose. Overnight in Montrose and then...onwards to Campbeltown.

Remember this is all in aid of CATS (not cats). And you can contribute HERE.

No comments: